- Fit: Your belt size is usually 1 or 2 sizes larger than your pants/waist size. If your pants/waist size is 28, your belt would be 29 or 30. As far as the width of your belt goes, it varies from at least 1″ to at most 1.5″ and any wider would be too wide. Sizing for the belt’s thickness is relative but it’s important that the belt is not super thick or super thin.
- Material: There are 2 main materials for belt: Cotton or Leather. However within those two materials are sub-categories. Cotton has webbing, canvas, and others while Leather has different types of leather such as full-grain leather, top-grain or genuine leather or Exotic Leather.
- Color: You can choose any color you like to coordinate with your outfit, however if you are wearing a leather shoes and a leather belt, the color and shade must match, if they do not match it is considered to be “fashion-forwarded” which is okay if you can pull of the look like this gentleman (courtesy of Louis Vuitton)
- Buckle: The color of the buckle should match the watch you’re wearing. It would be a bit odd to have a gold buckle and a stainless steel watch.
- Formality: Leather belts are a must-wear in formal situations, and you must never wear anything else but leather for a belt in formal situations. The more shinier the leather belt’s buckle is, the more formal it is. Usually a leather belt can be worn in any situations unlike, say Cotton belts (i.e. canvas others) which can only be worn in casual situations.
Follow TheStylishHo on Instagram @ThatHoOverThere